A cooking competition wouldn’t be complete without someone serving a nice cut of thick, juicy, and tender steak, as is the case on 2012’s MasterChef Australia. So far, the series has featured Lovin’ Lime and Coriander Seared Tuna Steak and Steak with Oregano and Onion Salt, as well as contestant Beau Cook’s Porterhouse with KipflerPotatoes and Red Wine Jus.
You don’t need to be a grilling expert to cook these delicious steak recipes from MasterChef Australia. You just need to select a great cut of meat and the correct cooking equipment/ingredients.
GRILLED PORTERHOUSE STEAK
565 g porterhouse steak
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp steak seasoning
- Rub steak lightly with olive oil. Season by sprinkling with steak seasoning (or simply salt and pepper) and rubbing this over the steak.
- Cover the steak with plastic wrap and leave for about 20 minutes. Remember, the longer the steak is marinated, the better it tastes.
Tip: You don’t need a tenderiser for porterhouse steak. Letting the steak warm up to room temperature at least 30 minutes before cooking helps with tenderising.
- Preheat electric grill to medium heat.
- Unwrap the steak and place directly on the electric grill for 3 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness, or until done according to your liking. A rare steak is soft to touch when poked with the index finger, while a medium rare steak offers some resistance.
- Let steak sit for around 5 minutes to allow meat to soak back the juice. This will prevent the steak from drying out.
Optional: Add garlic butter to melt over the steak.