The holidays are right around the corner, and that means that chocolate is bound to be everywhere you go. Even the most conscientious eaters have a hard time saying no to this sinfully sweet delicacy during this (sometimes) infuriating time of year that tends to be so detrimental to the waistlines of people everywhere.
What if I told you that it doesn’t have to be this way? That you could have your proverbial ‘cake’ (in this case, chocolate), and eat it too? You can indulge this season my friend, and the secret lies in your favorite local eco store!
The key to being able to eat chocolate without the guilt that inevitably comes afterward is in making it yourself with one of the healthiest substances available, coconut oil. This fabulous oil comes packed with health benefits too numerous to name in detail here, but here are just a few of them when consumed:
* Coconut oil is a long-lasting energy source for your body without the high then crash of sugar or caffeine.
* It supports thyroid health and helps to keep hormones balanced.
* The oil helps to suppress cravings and hunger pains throughout the day, which is excellent news for dieters and binge-eaters alike.
* No one knows quite why, but people who eat coconut oil on a regular basis report a noticeable change in their moods (for the better, of course!).
* Coconut oil has natural antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties which are all excellent for your digestive system.
* It helps aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals, so your body actually gets the nutrients you are trying to feed it.
On the other hand, regular chocolate is loaded with sugars, hydrogenated vegetable fats, artificial flavors and emulsifiers. Why put your body through all of that when you can have a healthy chocolate, made by your own hands? If you are worried that making chocolate yourself will be difficult, fear not. It is actually quite simple, and there is no baking involved! Just load up on the eco friendly products below and you will be snacking guilt-free in no time at all.
Fantastic (& Healthy!) Coconut Oil Chocolate Recipe:
You Will Need:
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 TBSP finely grated coconut
3 TBSP organic honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1 – Melt the coconut oil in a non-stick saucepan over low heat.
2 – Add the cocoa powder well using a whisk.
3 – Add the honey, vanilla extract and salt, whisk in well.
4 – Remove from heat and stir in coconut.
5 – Pour into a tray lined with wax paper or into candy molds.
6 – Refrigerate until hard, approximately one hour. Remove from molds or if on wax paper, break into pieces.
* Coconut can be omitted if you like.
* Any type of nut can be stirred in or sprinkled on top.
* There are many different ways to change the flavor if you wish. Try switching the vanilla extract for orange, rum, peppermint or almond extract.
* You can also add other spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice or even cayenne to change the flavor.
Enjoy this delicious recipe and make extra for your friends!